Designate a privacy officer.
- Provide the agency advice on privacy matters.
- Handle internal and external privacy enquiries, complaints and requests for access to and correction of personal information.
- Maintain a record of the agency’s PI holdings.
- Assist with the preparation of privacy impact assessments and maintain the agency’s register of PIAs.
- Measure and document the agency’s performance against the privacy management plan at least annually.
- An agency may have one or more privacy officers.
- The privacy offi- cer may serve as the required privacy champion, or the two positions may be separate.
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s “Privacy Officer Toolkit”
describes useful skills and expertise and offers resources for privacy officers.
Provide the OAIC contact information for the privacy officer in writing.